Get a Mural
Why get a mural?
• Murals define the cultural identity of a neighborhood or an entire city.
• Neighborhoods with murals are desirable locations for families with children.
• Inner-city areas, which are plagued with blight, often have high levels of violent crime; murals promote public safety and violence reduction, while spurring youth development and education through art.
• Murals give the youth in the community a positive means to express their identity and form a sense of ownership, civic pride, and investment in the community.
• Aerosol writing promotes handwriting and literacy through development of calligraphic skills.
• Through painting, youth are able to develop artistic abilities which are often not taught or underserved in school curriculums.
• Mural programs are important vocational training opportunities for youth, and can lead to careers as painters, graphic designers, or commercial artists.
Here are the basic rates we can offer
CRP Artists paint a mural at their own discretion (excluding hate, nudity etc.), no sketches or owner input
$5 / sq. ft
Community Mural Rate:
Property owner has input on the mural themes (non-commercial)
$7 / sq / ft.+ $50/hr for planning meetings, $250 – 500 / sketch
$15/ sq. ft. + $100/hr for planning meetings, $500 – 1,000 / sketch
We expect that the murals will last 3 – 5 years before any significant fading occurs.
For a mural with greater longevity (5-10 years before significant fading), we charge an additional $1/ sq. ft.
For clearcoats and other anti-graffiti protections, we charge an additional $1/ sq. ft. / coat.
For mural insurance, in the case that a mural is damaged, we charge $ .50 / sq. ft. for pre-paid maintenance / year or the same rate initially paid for touch-ups (based on the estimated size of repair).
Local property owners are mainly concerned with the bottom 8 ft of their walls because that is generally the reach of most vandals. We are offering to paint those areas at these rates above in exchange for written contracts to paint the entire wall. We have a development team of interns writing grants year-round that can help fundraise to cover the cost of painting the entire wall. Once the funding is secured, we will create the mural at no additional cost to the property owner. Of course, this fundraising campaigns may take some time and owners that are willing to contribute more towards these projects will be given priority because their funds can be used to leverage grants.